Club Night September 2019

There was a good turnout for the Clubs monthly meeting.

Port Blakley are still logging in the Herbert Forest, so the Podocarp and Hoods Creek tracks are still closed.

Trip Reports

Woosey’s bike rides struck a great day, fine and cool. 4 bikers headed west, doing a 36k circuit as far as Tulliemet Road. 5 bikers headed east, doing a circuit via All-day Bay and Kakanui with great views.

A trip went up the Ewe Range from the end of Broken Hut Road near Omarama. A steady climb saw them into the Oteake Conservation Area, but unfortunately the views were nil.

The Wednesday Walkers had day trips to the White Horse Hill at Waimate, Doctors Point at Waitati, Takitu Station in South Canterbury and Sheepwash Creek in the West Marewhenua catchment.

Coming Trips are Tabletop, a Silver Peaks round trip via Pulpit Rock, Rosella Ridge and the Eucalyptus Track, a working bee in the Herbert Forest and the Labour Weekend Trip to Mt. Alexander on the West Coast.

The evenings Guest Speakers were a North Otago team of 4 who competed in the last Godzone in the Christchurch area. 50 teams started the race but just 20 teams completed the whole course of over 600k, as if they were too slow, a section was missed.

Preparation was meticulous as the right supplies had to be put in the correct boxes with a maximum weight. Food was divided into 12 hour segments and the bikes disassembled and placed in boxes to be transported to the next bike stage. They had 2 X 2 person pack rafts for the calmer water and the organisers supplied 2 person kayaks for white water sections, which sometimes had to be transported 2 k overland to the river. At times they were carrying up to 20k plus the kayak.

The race commenced at Akaroa with difficult coastal section, where it was quite easy to get a leg cut from mussels, or twist an ankle. Then a bike ride took them to Christchurch for a run through the adventure park.   It was then a bus trip to Flock hill with different running, biking kayaking or pack rafting sections to the mouth of the Rakaia River, before returning to the Akaroa finish line.

They helped each other out when necessary, sometimes towing their bike, joining up when crossing rivers, especially in the dark, or tying the 2 pack rafts together. They managed a sleep most nights, twice in the dark zones when they were not allowed to travel. They had to take a tracking beacon and locator beacon, but were not allowed a GPS as all navigation had to be done with maps and compass.

No one was allowed to assist them, especially in the transition stages.

They all said they would like to do it again, but not next year, mainly because of the cost which was in the thousands of dollars each.